Friday, December 9, 2011

Christmas Decorating

 

FRIDAY after Thanksgiving we were still at my parents house.  Many years ago my mom was given a country inn village piece.  Ever since this has been a growning village with them adding pieces and expanding the village.  It now is so large it takes nearly a whole day to set up and fills an entire room.  A fun thing about the village is that it’s different each year.  Added pieces, being put in a new room and different arrangement of the pieces keeps it exciting to see each year.  Each year it’s put up right after Thanksgiving so this year was to be no different.  I began unpacking the pieces and dividing them as country or town pieces while mom began setting up tables and my dad was cutting boards to make table extensions.  We actually left before the whole thing was complete so it will be fun to go back closer to Christmas and see how it was finished this year. I don’t have any pictures at this time but I’ll try to get some posted sometime.

This began inspiring me to decorate my own place for the first time in years.  We were in a town the past 3 years that was 5 hours from home.  Noone would ever come visit (we always came home for a few weeks for the holidays) so there was no real reason for me to decorate.  This year being we live closer and having family that lives in the same town as us, there’s a chance we’ll have visitors so I’m going to decorate. I havn’t decorate in years so I’ve kinda forgotten a lot of what decorations I have. Also at the end of the holidays last year our friends were planning on going with a new theme and getting new stuff for the next year so they graciously gave us some of the decorations they were no longer going to be using.  Some of our stuff is still in storage at my grandparents and since decorating I’ve realized I’m missing some decorations so my decorations are a little sparse and only mostly in the living room area but they make me feel merry for the holidays. Here are some pictures. ENJOY!

Door Area 

The front door and catch all shelf. Joel complains about the santa hat blocking his view of the clock but I thought it was too cute to take down.  He was also disappointed to find that cookie tin was for decoration only and there were no cookies in it. He He!

Telephone  stand in hallway

The telephone shelf in the hallway between the two bedrooms

Back door kitchen entrance  

The backdoor/dining room/kitchen entry. The wreath was made by my mother from handprints of my students from my very first preschool class in 2006.

Kitchen window 

A few snowmen to smile at as I wash dishes

Living Room window

The sun makes it a little hard to see but it was too dark to take pictures at night. It’s a simple strand of white lights with silver tinsel. 

Dining Room table

 

Despite the fact that we don’t use our dining room table, I really wanted to display these dishes.  It’s actually convenient since we don’t use the table I can keep the display set up at all times and don’t have to move it for meals.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season!

2 comments:

  1. Destinie, I've been reading your blog since you started up again, but I normally read from my phone while I'm at school or in bed, so I rarely comment. I love all your Christmas decorations! Especially the plates! Where are y'all living now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "Mossimo" brand at Target is what works best for me. They have several different "fits" within that brand. "Fit 3" works best for me. Love them!

    ReplyDelete